Sunrise Calendar is my favorite calendar app on the iPhone because it’s free, feature-packed, and easy to use.
It does everything that a calendar needs to do, including offering a lot of different views to see your upcoming events, syncing, and more. What really makes Sunrise great is the way it taps into other services like the weather, Google Maps, Evernote, TripIt, and more.
In the end, you get a powerful calendar with a load of features.
- Compatible with Google Calendar, iCloud, and Exchange.
- Hybrid app works with your iPhone and iPad.
- Syncs in real-time and in the background.
- Quickly add an event with real language (e.g. “Lunch tomorrow at 1pm!”).
- Add reminders the same way.
- Include Facebook events and birthdays.
- Weather forecasts based on your location included in your daily agenda.
- Use Google Maps for directions.
- Connect multiple Google Calendars.
- No ads—completely free.
Where It Excels
Sunrise is beautiful and easy to use. By default, you get a straightforward agenda view that shows you exactly what’s coming up over the next day or so on all your calendars, plus the local weather.
You can access the day you want to view, too, and open up an entire month to quickly find the date you’re looking for.
If or when you prefer, you can also switch over to a traditional calendar view and see everything scheduled out at specific times.
Aside from having a great and intuitive feature set, Sunrise works with just about everything. You have support for Google Calendar, iCloud, and Exchange—pretty much everything you’d need.
Where It Falls Short
Sunrise doesn’t necessarily fall short in any department, but there are some calendar apps that offer additional features that Sunrise just doesn’t have. If a simple, everyday calendar isn’t your thing you might find this one doesn’t meet all of your criteria.